The practice of using cloud storage has, in fact, become our every day’s need. Cloud technology is said to be the future of computing. It has been proven quite useful when it comes to increasing the efficiency of a group work.
Indeed all of us have been using this technology, and at some point in time, we have fears regarding the privacy. Hence, the big cloud hosts such as Google Drive, DropBox, etc. have come with a newer version of cloud sharing called ‘Private cloud’. It is another automation technology that was meant for securing your data. However, the security accompanies by bringing hole in your pocket.
To solve all these issues, today, we have come up with a novel approach. Have you ever wondered you can build your own cloud server?
There is hardly any who knows it is possible setup a private cloud without any technical knowledge. After reading this article you will be a pro computer user knowing the secret.
We are using Tonido software to setup a private. We recommend you follow the steps simultaneously to build your own cloud server. But before that, let’s learn what cloud system is and how it works.
What is Cloud computing and how it works?
Cloud are not exactly those masses of water particles on air, they are just a computer hardware and software system similar to that you have at your home. These systems are provided by some companies called cloud hosts and they can share their system with you over the internet.
Though here we have focused on storage feature, Cloud technology is not just storing your data over the internet; it is much more than that. Today we can use cloud technology for booking costly software for rent, in fact, your Gmail id is based on cloud computing, you can play high tech games even if you acquire a basic computer.
Now that you have learned the basic definition of how a cloud computing system works, you are going to transform your PC’s hard disc drive into a cloud storage device. You can do all stuff from your computer that you have been doing in the Drop box or any other cloud storage.
Step by step build your own cloud server in Windows operating system.
- The very first step is to head on to your favorite web browser and type in the URL tonido.com.
- On the web page, you will be finding two links for download, the first one is for home use and the second one is meant for business and enterprise. The latter one certainly comprises more features owing to obligatory needs, in this article we are going to focus only on the former one i.e. for home use. Click Free Download button.
- After clicking the download button you will be redirected to another page where you have to select your operating system which your computer has. Tonido supports numerous platforms that you can see on that page; indeed the best thing about this software is that you can even use an Android smartphone as a cloud host.
- We have downloaded the zip file for Windows in this tutorial; you can prefer yours according to your OS.
- Once downloaded, install the zip file manually and click the check button ‘Launch Tonido’ on the last page of installation.
- This software may ask you to allow for Windows firewall for this first time. You need to allow it if you want to build your own cloud server through Tonido.
- After the successful installation, you will be directed to a sign-up page on your default web browser. Believe us, it is the easiest form you have ever filled.
- Select the default language.
- On the next row, type in a unique account name and don’t forget to check the availability of it.
- Set a strong password which is easy to remember by you but hard to guess by others. These two details i.e. ID and password are going to be used for operating your private cloud storage.
- On the next row, you need to mention a valid e-mail id. It is very important to use a working mail id as it is the only way to start/recover your private cloud account.
- Make sure all the boxes are filled correctly, and then finally click ‘Create’ button.
- As soon as you clicked the Create button, you will be logged into your Tonido private storage administration account.
- When you are logged in, you will see a pop-up appear showing you a little tutorial. Click on ‘Next’ button two times and ‘Close’ button at the last.
- Finally, there comes a welcome page indicating that your Tonido page is perfectly setup and you are free to put your own cloud server in use. Copy the link from the top right of the Tonido software.
How to use Tonido Free own private cloud server?
Assuming all the steps mentioned above went well and you have successfully setup your account; here we have shared some tips that will help you understand the functions of this software easily.
- Before using the cloud service we recommend you do some adjustment in your power options. To do this, head on to the control panel and open ‘Power Options’ and select ‘High Performance’ option. This step is very important for the seamless performance of cloud services through your system.
- Now, you can log into your cloud account from anywhere you want and operate the hard disk drive with the help of link you copied recently.
- Once you log in from any device whether it is an Android smartphone or IOS device, you will see a screen where you can either upload or download any file to the hard disc drive. Make sure that while doing so, your host PC must be switched on continuously.
- You can enjoy all the features like that of a DropBox or Google Drive. You can upload/download any picture from the ‘Photos’ section, you can listen or download/upload any music page from the ‘Music’ section, and so on.
The best thing about this type of private cloud is that it is completely secured at your home and very fewer chances of any hack. Besides, you don’t need to worry about the monthly rent on the online cloud storage.
In addition to this, if anytime you wish to discontinue this service, you can do so by following some simple steps. This type of private cloud server is quite useful when you are working in a team and you constantly need to transfer data over the air.